Located on the shore of beautiful Lake Pend Oreille, against the dramatic backdrop of the Selkirk Mountains and Schweitzer Mountain ski resort, Sandpoint is a lively community of about 7,200 people (as of 2010 Census). Incorporated in 1901, Sandpoint was built on the rich heritage of the railroad and timber industries. In the 1970s came an influx of artists and musicians, creating an ongoing legacy arts and cultural events.
Today tourism, retail, service and entrepreneurial independent businesses all contribute to a downtown district that attracts visitors as well as residents for dining, shopping and community events. Here’s a sample of the year-round happenings in our active, culturally rich town:
February’s winter celebration with a downtown rail jam, skijoring, events at Schweitzer and more.
Locally grown products & craft items available spring to fall, Wednesdays and Saturdays in Farmin Park.
Local artists are displayed in businesses throughout town. A summer-long event, artist receptions are held in June.
Lost in the ’50s
May’s rockin’ celebration and vintage car show is the biggest event of the year.
Fourth of July
The kind of parade small town’s are known for, a carnival and festivities at City Beach, and, of course, fireworks.
Inland Empire Antique & Classic Boat Festival
Three days of classic wooden boats and antique watercraft in July at the Old Power House moorage on Sand Creek.
An annual July sidewalk sale with an international draw.
Festival at Sandpoint
From rock to classical, this August concert series has national names performing under the stars right in town.
Arts & Crafts Fair
A juried event held in August that brings exceptional arts and crafts to town.
Special shopping & holiday events for the Christmas season, held throughout downtown from Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day.
POAC Performance Series
An annual schedule of theatre, opera and performances from traveling national-caliber acts … just like you might catch in the big city. Shows are held at the Panida Theater.
Sandpoint Has It All!
And there’s so much more than just our events:
- Community: Sandpoint is a safe, friendly and affordable place where there is always a neighbor willing to lend a hand.
- Environment: Sandpoint’s pristine environment provides a clean, healthy lifestyle enriched by natural beauty, mountain air, and four beautiful seasons.
- The Arts: With diverse galleries, performing arts, the historic Panida Theater, the Festival at Sandpoint and other art events, you’re likely to discover the artist in you.
- Recreation: From skiing to golf with limitless opportunities for hunting, fishing, hiking, and water sports–Sandpoint is a four-season destination.
- Schools: Educational opportunities include private and public schools as well as accredited college courses.
- Hospitals: In addition to a wide array of private practice medical and alternative health doctors, Sandpoint is home of Bonner General Hospital, providing general acute care, outreach services and specialists in all medical areas.
Want to learn more about our special town? Then click to e-mail us now»